A healthy, thriving, sustainable Eastern Connecticut with greater equity for all.
Collaborating with partners to put philanthropy into action to address the needs, rights and interests of our community in Eastern Connecticut.
Integrity, Equity, Respect, Courage, Empathy
Ever since we were founded in 1983, our foundation has grown in knowledge, capability and influence as a direct result of the commitment of our generous donors, the depth of our relationships with nonprofit organizations and the steady oversight of caring, visionary leaders. We’ve built enduring relationships across the region and become an important part of the history – and future – of Eastern Connecticut.
- In 1982, when the concept of a community foundation was still quite new, a small group of visionary community leaders came together to establish a permanent endowment that would serve New London and 10 surrounding towns in perpetuity.
- The organization was incorporated in 1983 as the Pequot Foundation, with seed money contributed by the Shea, Palmer and Bodenwein Funds.
- In 1998, the foundation changed its name to the Community Foundation of Southeastern Connecticut.
- In 2009, the foundation merged with its philanthropic counterpart to the north, the Community Foundation of the Tri-County Area – creating the geographically largest community foundation in Connecticut.
- Shortly thereafter – in recognition that we now served nearly one-third of the entire state, we changed our name again to the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut.
Call us at 860-442-3572 or email us.