We are committed to helping women and girls in Eastern Connecticut lead more fulfilling, productive, healthy lives.
In 1999, at the request of some of our donors and in response to community need, we established our first Women & Girls Fund to help empower women of all ages in 11 communities in the southeastern portion of our region. The goal of this charitable fund was to support nonprofits that help women and girls pursue positive, productive lives – for themselves and their families.
- In 2004, 2006 and 2013, additional Women & Girls Funds emerged to help women in other parts of Eastern Connecticut.
- With a combined endowment of $7 million, these funds continue to help remove barriers for women & girls, increase their economic security, enhance their well-being and safety, and empower them to make positive life decisions for themselves and their families.
Southeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our original fund, founded in 1999, serves women and girls in East Lyme, Groton, Ledyard, Lyme, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Old Lyme, Stonington and Waterford.
- Its 200 founding members and subsequent donors have built an endowment of over $4.9 million, with 27 named funds associated with it.
- This fund has awarded 343 grants totaling $1,901,097 since its inception.
Windham Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2004, this fund serves women and girls in Ashford, Chaplin, Columbia, Coventry, Mansfield, Scotland, Stafford, Union, Willington and Windham.
- Its 102 founding members, subsequent donors and challenge grants from the Jeffrey P. Ossen Family Foundation have built this permanent endowment over $850,350, with 12 named funds associated with it.
- This fund has awarded 146 grants totaling $563,238 since its inception.
Norwich Area Women & Girls Fund
- Founded in 2006, this fund serves women and girls in Norwich, Bozrah, Colchester, Franklin, Griswold, Lebanon, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague and Voluntown.
- Its 41 founding members, subsequent donors and a challenge grant from Edward & Mary Lord Foundation have established an endowment of over $218,000 to date, with two named funds associated with it.
- This fund has awarded 40 grants totaling $153,946 since its inception.
Northeast Area Women & Girls Fund
- Our latest fund, founded in 2013, serves women and girls in Brooklyn, Canterbury, Eastford, Hampton, Killingly, Plainfield, Pomfret, Putnam, Sterling, Thompson and Woodstock.
- Its 50 founders and subsequent donors have built an endowment of over $343,057, with five named funds associated with it.
- This fund awarded 55 grants totaling $116,985 since its inception.
Grant and endowment figures as of 1.1.2022
Read Story on Our Women & Girls Funds
Learn how the Women & Girls Funds make a difference
The Laura and Scott Moorehead Fund
When Scott and I began discussing the idea of a named fund under the umbrella of the Northeast Connecticut Women & Girls Fund, he smiled and said it would be like the projects we’ve done around our home — a combination of my creative energy and his sensible engineering. That brought a smile to my face, too. We hope that others are inspired to join us in investing in northeast Connecticut, an area that is so full of heart, creativity, and energy — a place we are so proud to call "home."